Tuesday 14 March 2017

Fibreshed Melbourne


The Challenge!

To make an outfit from locally sourced raw products, that have or will be processed locally, with products that are local, and then made locally.

In Australia, our local Fibreshed range is within a 500km radius, which covers Victoria, some parts in NSW, and Tasmania… so not too bad….. for Wool & Alpaca!

Ok, so I am a seasoned knitter, crocheter and a professional seamstress, so there was never any doubt that I would make the garments… ‘Made Locally’ tick!

I have also now been spinning for 2 years, so I can contribute to the yarn making, I also have a carder for processing….. wait on just a minute…. My lovely Second hand Spinning wheel it a Castella, made in Gladydale Vic, from locally sourced Blackwood, , but where do all those metal parts come from? My Carder is an Ertoel, a company in Doreen, it is an old one, but where did all those parts come from?... are you with me, here? There is no stipulation as to where the tools are from, and boy when you start thinking about local it does your head in a little.  

Ok, so I have the wheel, the carder, 3 loom(one is from an old Melbourne company too), heaps of knitting needles, I have knitting machines, sewing machines…. I also have a stash of fabric & haberdashery to last a life time or 2. So I could safely never buy anything again!... and I figure if I already have it, it is OK!

So if the larger % of the garment is local then it is acceptable to me to use up some items from the sewing room to complete and make the finish product wearable and will last…. Therefore also considering ‘Slow Fashion’ another great philosophy.

Here is the Link with more information on Fibreshed http://www.fibershed.com/

Here is the Link with more information on Slow Fashion https://slowfactory.com/blogs/news/9032951-the-slow-fashion-movement



Moving right along, I was gifted some alpaca and sheep’s fleece… great! local, and free!… but not free of dust and augh dead flies and cocoon… should I ditch this… no, because my mother always told me to ‘never look a gift horse in the mouth’!.... so I can try and spin it, I can also try and felt it. Will it be a special treasure…. maybe not, but is was free!

Now I also took a trip to the ‘Bendigo Sheep and Wool show’ back in 2015, ooooh spinner and knitter’s heaven, and so many local products to be purchased too! So I added to my fibre stash some Alpaca bumps from ‘Fibre Naturally’ and some raw corridale fleece from North East Yarns.

I also picked up some very old cones of natural yarn, made at the old Yarra Falls mill in Abbotsford. This mill was taken over by Australian Country Spinners, it is no longer there and all production is in Wangaratta. This little purchase was perfect, if you remember I am a new spinner so getting all this yarn ready to make an outfit was always going to be a struggle.

As it turns out, creating a whole outfit that could be worn in its entirety did not happen, and rather I made items to add to my wardrobe and pair up with existing items.

Firstly, the Alpaca from Fibre Naturally (which was a dream to spin from the bumps), spun, plied and knitted by me, from I pattern I wrote for an Australia company. (Oh I forget to mention I write knitting patterns too). Now this little gem, would have been better with smaller needles, but I was really pushing the gauge to officially make my first hand spun top, rather than loads of hand spun wraps, cowls & beanies. This top has been worn and worn, and would make any 'Slow Fashionista' proud. I even made a Shawl Pin from some Myrtle wood that was from a tree we sadly had to cut down.

 

Secondly, the Corriedale fleece from North East Yarns, was flicked, spun, plied, washed, knitted all by me, and the pattern was mine too! Now this was some feat for me…. My first hand spun from rare fleece to a full man size Jumper!




Next up, I joined the Fibreshed Knit-a-long and using the cones of natural yarn from old mill, made the Radiator Wrap Then with some left over and knitted up a pair of wristlets, again one of my patterns.

 

The old factory yarn on the cone was brilliant, so managed to knit up a skirt that will match nicely with the Wrap…. I am now looking forward to Winter as I think it will look rather nice with some black tights to keep me warm.





Finally, the fly bite fleece! I am always up for a challenge, and this sure was. First I washed it and it was so yuck! Then I picked and carded it, this took a few sittings. Then the spinning, this was not the spinning dream that the Corriedale was either. It took forever, and to be honest as I spun it, I decided that the colour that was a non descript grey… well more of a dirty grey, again yuk!

After the spinning I thought I might just experiment with some natural dyes, this was not so successful, and the wool had Alder cones thown at it…. not much change, Alder leaves and branches, still nothing exciting, loquat leaves thrown at it… ok a little colour, not bad….. that was just for 2 skiens. I had 2 more! So to the trusty old eucalypts! The final result of the 2 was not great, but it was 100% better than the natural colour.

Off to the loom, then just plain wove my way to some nice chucky … but nowhere near enough cloth to make anything. So what do I do?...This fleece was not going to beat me! ....I know!, I have some left over Corriedale. So back to the loom and voila, a jacket. Buttons made by me out of some red gum I found in my husband’s wood pile.

Now this is where I stretched the Fibreshed rules. If I am to make a jacket that will stand the test of time, I was going to sew it… and line it!.... However, no new notions or lining were purchased… I dived into my stash and used some of my stash to make a garment that is worth the trouble it took to make it.
I must add that I just cut this without a pattern, with the no waste, Saori style clothing ideals in mind.

 

Now for what I did not get done…

I felted some gifted Alpaca, I have started to make a bag and am using the scraps to breath new life into some old clogs. I tried to rush this through but it needs time.

I have some lovely Gotland and English Leister spun and ready to use.
I also have loads of nice bits and pieces to spin, all local.

I was also just gifted some more alpaca, so my poor sewing room looks pretty grim.

Oh and some Slow Merino fleeces to process, but I want to take my time on this one.

I also have a husband that loves to collect wood for the wood pile, and I keep raiding it and making buttons and other cool stuff.

…….. but the worst thing is I was gifted more of that non descript dirty grey fleece…. Aaugh!!!!, the only saving grace, is that at first glance I do not think it has Fly Bite, but I just stashed it, and am trying not to think about it... remember 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth!'.



So I have my work cut out for the next year to make some more garments, and reduce my stash, in at the same time…. But the hardest thing will be to ‘NOT BUY MORE STASH’!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth, love your projects! Gorgeous work! Can you please advise what ply wool you used for the Radiator Wrap? Many thanks :) Jools

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS and how many metres did you approx use? Many thanks! I love your colourway!

    ReplyDelete